Bellavista is a dream come true, not just for us, but for every nature lover and bird-watcher whose imagination is stimulated by the idea of a Cloud Forest. Started by a Colombo - British couple, Gloria and Richard, in 1991, what was initially a 55 hectare reserve has now become a certified ecolodge with a 700 hectare private reserve, the land owned by Gloria and Richard and a handful of like-minded conservationists. For anyone who seeks to immerse him or her self in its mysteries, soak in its vast views, anyone who wants to discover its rare and endemic birds, orchids and other species, anyone who wants to discover true peace and wild places, anyone who loves forests, there are few places like it so easily accessible!!.
- The Cloud Forest is just such a special place, a marvel in its own right! Compared with the Amazon .. it is quite different, yet if you want to see a rain forest in the tropics, it has the advantage of being so close to Quito.
- We are less than one and three quarter hours from Quito, and yet our quiet roads see little traffic, little more than the transport for our visitors .. note we offer transport – inclusive packages from Quito or elsewhere, every day! Individuals, couples, families and groups, all are welcome, but remember you won´t be bothered by huge crowds.
- Birds of many colours, birds of restricted range .. we are in the Mindo and Slopes of Pichincha Volcano Area of International Importance for Birds. In 2006, 2007 and 2008, our region achieved the highest number of bird species seen in 24 hours in the Audubon Christmas Bird Count for the Americas!
We offer our guests a unique stay above the forest canopy! Some prefer our 4-storey geodesic dome, while others prefer our unusual Bamboo House, the half-timbered Trailhead House, or our secluded San Luis house. And for the budget-minded, we offer our Research Station / Hostel or camping options.
The 360 degree view from the dome allows you to gaze upon the rugged peaks of Pichincha and Cotacachi in the distance. You can also sit out on your private balcony and observe the magical activity of the forests..
- We have an excellent network of trails, over 10 km in length, ranging from easy to genuine adventure.
- We have 6 waterfalls within the reserve, all deep in the forest and truly beautiful.
- We offer guided hikes with emphasis on general natural history, or birds or botany: group guiding or personal specialist guiding available.
- See Bellavista as a base for explorations deeper into the northwest .. Butterflies, canopy zipline, more waterfalls, more birds, Tulipe archaeological site……..
- The cloud forest is a different type of rain forest, a mysterious enchanted forest with a much more benign climate than the Amazon Basin, and no malaria (2250 meters, 7200 feet altitude).
- We have from 8 to 14 species of hummingbirds at our feeders, all daily visible at incredibly close range! In fact, we guarantee you will see hummingbirds at Bellavista! Some 20 species have been observed here .. and in Tandayapa Valley the record is over 40 .. a world record!